Friday, April 24, 2009

Sleep Revisited


This post is kind of like a game...can you figure out what is wrong with the picture above by the end of my ramblings? The prize...I will leave your answering machine message like Will Shortz does. Maybe I'll even sing it, which would be awesome. You would definitely be the envy of all of your friends.

More than two months after my original sleep post it is time for an update.

Jaden sleeps from 7:30 pm to 7:00 am every night. By himself. He has done this since the middle of March. He sleeps by himself because it became too much fun to sleep with me. Dustin left on a business trip for a couple of nights in March, and Jaden decided that the middle of the night would be the perfect time to play, crawl, bounce, and poke at my belly button. I decided that was not ideal. There were about three Really Rough Nights where I checked on Jaden in regular intervals while he protested being in his crib alone. But once the transition was over he has never looked back. Although I really did enjoy having that time of co-sleeping (not-so-much the co-playing), I have also thoroughly enjoyed getting sleep at night in my own bed. In retrospect it really didn't take that long for Jaden to sleep "through the night", but it certainly felt like an eternity when we were going through the experience. As usual there seems to be a larger lesson to be learned in that statement.

Last night marked a milestone. I entered into Jaden's room after he had gone to bed to check on him. I've been too scared to do this up until now. What if I woke him up? Would he go back to sleep? My worry about a rash on his mouth superseded my worry about him going back to sleep, so I tiptoed in to listen to him breathe. Call me crazy...I'm really not bothered. By the way, he didn't wake up. He was perfectly snuggled up on top of his blankets in a deep, deep sleep.

From what I've read and heard, the next sleep regression for infants/toddlers comes when they get their first molars. Guess what my best guess is for the rash around his mouth?

Yes, the answer to the puzzle is that after baby-proofing the ENTIRE house we failed to put outlet covers on the exposed plug right behind our baby's crib. Seriously. Let me know your phone number for the special prize if you are so inclined. I truly am an excellent singer.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the sleep. And on the internal link. Wow, it's like you have your own technical support team or something.... :) And you can't leave a message on my machine because people will just think it's me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said to look for something "wrong," I actually did notice the EXPOSED OUTLET. Hmmm. I think my SW would be proud of me. Maybe you can put in a good word. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby Brady safety monitor here...you didn't even have to ask me. I glanced at the photo, eyes immediately diverted from adorable sleeping baby to inspect for possible chic, clear outlet covers, didn't see them, and thought I should fire off a safety e-mail asap. That said, Jim and I once returned home to realize neither one of us had actually buckled Fiona in her carseat during the ellaborate, toddler wants each of us to take some part in her climbing into car on own, process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the outlets right away as well. Glad you got that covered now!

    So glad he is sleeping. We can all be better mommys when our babies sleep. Asher is hit or miss right now. I know it will get better.

    He looks wonderful.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete