Friday, April 17, 2009

Insert Foot Here

Throughout the pre-adoption and adoption process we have often talked about, read about and discussed how to respond to socially awkward and even inappropriate queries/statements about our interracial/adoptive family. While ready, I can honestly say that no one has even registered on the "did you really say that?" meter since we were in Korea. I wish I could say the same about myself.

Two nights ago we were enjoying unseasonably warm weather and decided to make this spring's virgin ice-cream cone run before Jaden's bathtime. As I was perusing my choices (tough one between Mint Chocolate Chip and Butterfinger Blast) I noticed that we were getting stared at by a late-forty-year-old-looking woman. This is something we are getting used to and it does not offend me. Dustin and I look slightly different than our son. I get that. So a lot of people do double-takes. No problem. Most people stop at that point. Some move on to ask questions. Usually I answer them happily as I love to talk about Jaden. Well, after I was served my cone (Butterfinger Blast won) and was corralling Jaden to prevent him from putting his tongue in a fan, the woman broke out her wallet and said, "I have to show you my two." Before my brain even registered that she was flipping to two pictures of Korean-American teenage girls, I said..."your grandkids?". My voice was sickly sweet, I was ready to connect with another adoptive family and talk about our stories...and I spoke before I looked. She looked back at me and in that condescending tone you reserve only for absolute nimrods who say things that no one in their right social mind would say she said, "No, my daughters."

Well done, Ali. Score one for the insensitive team. I believe we had a short conversation afterwards, but I could tell I was holding her hostage. She probably wanted to get home to blog about the reject she met at the ice cream parlor. Karma dictates that someone gets a freebie in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, did you ask her if she was pregnant while you were at it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably one of those trying-not-to-be-obvious gawkers. You know: I look...then look away...then look again. When I see families who appear to be formed through international adoption I feel like I want to say something...to ask their story...to tell our story...but I don't. I'm sure they can feel my beady eyes scanning in their direction. I want to say I know I'm gawking...but I have a reason to gawk. That's just plain creepy, so I zip my lips. Did you ever gawk while you were waiting? Maybe I'm just a nut-job.

    And...like Golfish said: at least you didn't ask if she was pregnant...or worse yet: let her know she's SURE to get pregnant now that she has adopted. :-) Love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about her glass eye, or her wooden leg?

    ReplyDelete