Thursday, October 2, 2008

10 - 9 - 8 - 7...

The countdown officially starts today. From today, we have a 10-14 week wait to travel to Korea. Dustin and I have spent the last two weeks documenting our lives. This paperwork will allow for the immigration and adoption process to take place. Today, our lives got sent over to Korea. Now, we wait. Again. But, this time is different.

During this wait we get to stare at the picture of our little boy every day, multiple times a day. A friend of mine said today that she's looked at him so much that she "feels like she already knows him." It's kind of true. Each day I am wrapping my head a little more around the impossible concept that this is our child to raise, love, and all other things "parenty."

During this wait I get to start enjoying the anticipation of collecting baby things. My mom (aka Martha Stewart) has been with me the last few days sewing masterpiece baby quilts. My dearest friends are planning showers and knitting booties. I get to go and pick up our rocking chair tomorrow. My cousin has sent me the pros/cons list of every cloth diaper on the market. My neighbor has dropped off a copy of his son's favorite nighttime story. My sister is sending her Jump-a-Roo our way. This is fun.

During this wait I can start to imagine what an eight-month-old looks like when I hold my sister's baby. I get to talk with my dad (Human Growth Development expert) about eye contact and object permanence. I get to start washing our clothes with perfume free detergent.

Will this euphoria last? I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure the crazy train will come and pick me up soon enough. But, right now, I'm happy -- plain and simple.

1 comment:

  1. Can I say it again? I am so happy for you. I have fallen in love with a photo of a little boy. Because he's adorable. And because he's made you happy.

    ReplyDelete