Sunday, March 1, 2009

Things that work


Our family has been together a little over two months now. Jaden and I stay at home, which means I'm in charge of meals, changings, entertainment, consoling, aerobics, fire safety, and general maintenance. Jaden isn't quite ready to take on these responsiblities just yet. However, these are a few things that work so far which make our days go by a little more smoothly. Ultimately, the more often we see the happiness he exudes in this picture the better off we all are.

(If I have any strength, I think it is that of self-deprecation so please don't read this thinking that I fancy myself as some sort of expert. I most certainly do NOT.)

1. Things with wheels. Big wagons, small cars, battery-powered trains that shoot balls in the air; these can all be found on my living room floor. Simultaneously.

2. CDs by "They Might Be Giants" (kids versions). I think Dustin and I may be more entertained by the lyrics, but Jaden digs the tunes. (Thanks, Teresa!)

3. Cloth diapers -- Bum Genius 3.0. No diaper rash. Rarely a blow out. Once I figured out how to make the ammonia stink go away, I've been very impressed.

4. Baby Mozart DVD. I am not above putting this in once, twice, or however many times on a bad teething day. It is referred to as "baby crack" in our home because of the scary amount of attention Jaden pays to these images.

5. Puppets. Once, Jaden was crying in the car. I got in the backseat and pulled out all of my tricks. Finally, I made my hand "talk". This killed Jaden. The Baby Einstein puppets from the aforementioned video are worthy of jaw-dropping gazing and amazement. But, in case you were wondering, we won't be purchasing them. They retail for approximately a bajillion dollars. I think a sock will suffice in the future.

6. Dads. 5:00 pm is a good time.

7. Pets. While I am a good face to wake up next to (according to the wee one), the pets get squeals almost every morning. The cat can put off breakfast for a good 5 minutes. Funny thing is, Jaden never catches it.

8. Baby sweatpants. Snap crotches and baby blue jeans are highly overrated.

9. Shoestrings, strings and straps. While not approved by the American Pediatric Society, they have provided much entertainment for Jaden. I swear we try to avoid these objects, but he is kind of naturally obsessed with things of this nature. When I'm sleep deprived, I put on my sweatshirt with a hood/string tie. When I knit, I give him a ball of yarn to play with by himself. He loves it.

10. Pantries. Fifteen minutes can go by in the blink of the eye when a can of Sprite and a box of penne pasta are there.

11. Baths. Great fun. Drinking the bathwater? Greater fun. I really hope he defies the conventional wisdom that all babies pee upon hitting the water.

12. Sandra Boynton board books. The crowd favorite is "The Belly Button Book", but I'm also a big fan of "Snuggle Puppy". I think Sandra and I may be soul mates.

That's all for now. I doubt this list remains the same for very long. We will enjoy the simplicity of his pleasures while they last and before they require microchips.

2 comments:

  1. Love the things that work. Love the latest J photo even more. What a great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,the pantry and furry creatures are keepers for a long while. Fiona thinks it's, um, fun to "toot" and say "I tooted." Big laughter. Hmmm, where did she get that from? What a little lady.
    Fun photo. It's nice to catch up via blog!

    ReplyDelete